Candidate Statements | BOG Candidate: Member-at-Large | Paul M. Imber, DO
In these positions, I have had the opportunity to develop skills in organizational structure, growth, management, leadership development, fiscal oversight and strategies for the future.
What experiences have you had which make you an ideal candidate for the member-at-large position?
I have had extensive experience in leadership roles in various state and national organizations including:
- Chief of staff of Riverside Hospital and section chief of otolaryngology of Christiana Care Health Systems
- President of the Delaware Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- President of the American Osteopathic College of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Chaired BOG Rules and Regulations Committee (2008-2009) and Legislative Affairs Committee (2009-2015) and received the Model Committee Award (2014)
- Member of the ENT PAC Board of Advisors
- Recipient of the Certificate of Honor and the Distinguished Service Award, AAO-HNS
In these positions, I have had the opportunity to develop skills in organizational structure, growth, management, leadership development, fiscal oversight and strategies for the future. I believe I can bring these skills and experiences to the BOG as member-at-large, representing the needs, desires, and expectations of the overall otolaryngology community.
What is the role of the member-at-large in your opinion?
Within the BOG, the member-at-large serves at the discretion of the chair, recently operating to represent the BOG in the Clinical Practice Guidelines Committee. The Academy Strategic Plan also charges the member-at-large with helping to increase outreach to the specialty societies, program directors, and member sections. I believe the member-at-large could also:
- help the state societies gain access to the Academy membership database, including email information. This would help the state societies to enhance membership and representation, to the benefit of state societies and the Academy
- facilitate Virtual Society meetings for state, regional, and specialty society meetings
- coordinate a summary of the BOG spring and fall meetings to all members of the BOG, to be disseminated to the societal membership
If elected to this prestigious position I would be honored to implement these initiatives, as well as other suggestions from the membership, at the discretion of the Chair and Executive Committee.
The positions of Chair-Elect, Secretary, and Member-at-Large will be elected by the voting members of the BOG (i.e., Governors or Alternate Governors pursuant to Article III, Sections 2 and 3) present at the fall meeting of the BOG General Assembly. No proxy votes are allowed.